Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kevin's new gadget


Have you ever had the feeling that when you walk into the dentist office and they look at your kids teeth the dentist just sees dollar signs? I absolutely know that is what our orthodontist sees every time poor Kevin comes in the door. Don't get me wrong he had beautiful baby teeth but, from the very moment his big teeth started to come in we knew we were in for a lot of dentist visits. Kevin is lucky enough to have a cross bite. It just means his top teeth don't line up with his bottom teeth. The way to fix it is to make the roof of his mouth wider. They have to install this fancy gadget called....wait for it......an expander (genius I know). I was much more emotional about the stupid thing than Kevin was. You see we have to turn it with a "key" every day to make it widen his mouth and i'm the sorry sap that has to do it! I've never had any orthodontic work done so I thought for sure it was going to cause him pain. I'm not the kind of mom who willing wants to cause my kids pain. I wanted to cry when they made me do it in the office. Kevin loves it though. He has assured me that it doesn't hurt him and he gets to talk funny for a while so he thinks it's super cool. A you can see he's pretty happy about it.

1 comment:

Neal and Brenda said...

Good for you guys for getting it taken care of now. I was in the 8th grade and horribly traumatized when I had that thing put in my mouth and suddenly you could drive a truck through my two front teeth. Add that to my first year with glasses and a bad perm to top off a really geeky year. Please don't go check the yearbooks just to confirm that story :-)